Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Jim Hill (jimhill_at_swcp.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 10:43:18 EST

Once upon a time, Michael J. Hußmann dressed so fine,
Threw the bums a dime, admired my ripped-off rhyme, and sent email:

> Jesse Garnier (lists_at_stonehopper.com) wrote:
>
> > If anything, the "age" of UNIX and its longevity is a testament to its
> > design and utility, rather than the opposite.
>
> Yeah, so Mac OS is obsolete because it's old, and Unix is best because
> it's even older ...? You can't have it both ways.

No one's trying to have it both ways. Everything gets old with the
passage of time. Mac OS 9 is obsolete not because it's old but because
its fundamental architecture simply does not allow the types of things
people demand from a modern operating system, not without the piling-on
of kludges and patches and wee strips of duct tape to try to hold it
together long enough that it won't crash more than a couple of times a
day and please, God, please let the users be the types of people who
think that a computer should be turned off every night so that the
system can get a fresh start the next morning. Unix isn't best because
it's older -- it's best IMO because its foundation did and does allow
for things like networking and new device drivers and multiprocessing
without the whole battered edifice collapsing into a pile of reboot-me
rubble. For 30 years, Unix has been polished and enhanced. For not
quite 20 years the Mac OS has become increasingly incapable of handling
the new demands placed on it.

To return to the post I made which set this subthread into motion, age
ain't nuthin' but a number. Good things age like fine wines. Bad
things age like fine milk.

Jim

--
                         jimhill_at_swcp.com