Re: [NTLK] Debating 32MB purchase

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 13:37:03 EST

>Nope, that' a soft reset. The 'hard reset' is bad for cards.

I respectfully disagree. I have fried (permanently destroyed) 2 PCMCIA
cards (one Ethernet, one linear flash) by leaving them inside the Newt when
resetting (either by poking the button in the back, or initiating a reset
via software).

I know others have been happily resetting with cards inside for years, but
I had bad luck twice and now I would never dream of resetting the Newt
without popping out the cards.

If anyone wants more details of this please search the archives. I have
written on the topic before including exactly the troubleshooting steps I
performed to try to revive the cards. Bottom line is I had to throw them
away -- they were completely unusable.

-Jeremy