Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 15:45:36 EST

Sunder (sunder_at_sunder.net) wrote:

> Um, yeah, because there are bugs, and bugs cause programs to crash, and
> when programs crash they can take the OS down too. What are you running
> that your Mac never crashes? Just the finder?

Several apps including MSIE and PowerMail, but what's running all the
time (except SETI_at_home) is Macjordomo which is serving my own private
mailing list. Now Macjordomo does indeed crash frequently -- once a week
if its log file is small, twice a day if it's 400 K or thereabouts --,
but it doesn't take the system (or anything else) with it. I just restart
the app and that's it.

> Untrue. Unlike Unix, MacOS hasn't had much development except by
> Apple.

Well, Mac OS is a proprietary OS, so obviously there were no development
efforts from third parties (except stuff that Apple bought and integrated
into the system).

> Further, the development almost never consisted of rewriting code,
> but rather just slathering on some more. There are some distinct
> exceptions here such as the transition to 9, but, only some.

In the course of making Mac OS run native on the PowerPC, a lot of code
was rewritten. Certainly not to the extent one would have wished, but
anyway ... And it's deficiencies notwithstanding, the core parts of the
original Mac OS run exceptionally stable. I remember reading the original
Inside Macintosh when it was still a single volume, and marvelling at how
perfectly it all fit together. It was truly a work of art.

> True, it's not tailored to be a desktop OS any more than Windows NT is
> tailored to be a Network OS.

I would have thought Windows NT was VMS in a Windows clothing?

> I also like MacOS and Newts, and single malt scotches.

Now that's three points on which we can agree.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de