[NTLK] Wiped it out, merciless

From: Christian Matzerath (matze_at_uumail.de)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 10:25:10 EST

Hi there!

I have wiped out my MP 2100, which I got recently from Gem, to install =
every package from scratch. To my surprise the installed software was =
different then the one I have installed on my old MP 2100 OS 2.1 german. =
These are all packages on the internal card of the US one:

Calculator
Calls
Card
Clock
Dock
Formulas
Help
Owner Info
Prefs
Setup
Styles
Time Zones
Writing Practice

and in the button bar:

Extras
InOut
Names
Dates
Undo
Find
Assist

But there aren't:

Internet Setup
Nethopper
Newton Works
Quickfigure

How come? Thought the german OS was kind of a translated US version...

Can I install the german parts from my MP-CDROM? Or would you recommend to =
install the US Versions of the lacking above applications (downloading them =
for UNNA)?

Is their some app. I should avoid installing to the newt?

TIA Matze

P.S. I am a while with your fabulous list now (2 months ?), but haven't =
introduced myself by now.

So: Me, Matze 37, has got a green friend since 1998 (MP 2100 german) and =
has damaged the screen from to much agressive writing and polishing it with =
alcohol :-(. I am a writer (children-tv-scripts/books and gameshowstuff) =
and the MP did a brave job all these years, even though I treated it like a =
bad stepfather.

I am by far not a newton-geek, just a heavy user. Now that I own a new newt =
I am also willing to understand the newts tec and OS, I am surfing the =
faq's and all those links you guys are posting here. And it is as if I =
discovered the Newton Messagepad for the first time now.

I hope that I will learn some stuff from you, so I will be able to help =
other new newtonians in the future. I truly believe in this wonderful =
little machine and think that it will outlive all these trendy gadgets =
(like Palms and ipaqs and tamagotchies...) as long as this list will exist.

best Matze

Christian Matzerath
Lorettostr. 17 40219 D=FCsseldorf
fon 211 3983313 fix 0170 3136983