Re: [NTLK] Dashboard Macintalk Script

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 22:30:41 EST

I'm getting a different error. The script I have
compiles correctly, but when I run it I get:
Newton
Sorry a problem has occured (-48808)
Then when I clear that window, I get:
Dashboard script error
An exception was thrown while attempting to execute
the script "Speak Text"

I have Macintalk installed and my Newton speaks to
people all the time!
I'm not familiar with the syntax, so I'm not sure how
to troubleshoot this.
From what I can see, I can create a script that just
says:
begin
     PlaySound("this is a test");
end;

and I should get the Newt saying in the default voice
"this is a test"

And that works, so I assume that the problem is in the
either setting the local variables, or the loop.
But when I have the script that has the else, and the
playsound "you must select something first", it should
play that if I don't have any text selected. But the
script doesn't even get that far it seems because it
never plays that sound.

Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Stephanie Maks <newton_at_maksystems.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> -48601 is a syntax error, so it is perhaps something
> mistyped. Be careful
> with each line's information, as James Clark
> mentioned, things like
> 'foreach' being put in as 'for each' and the sort,
> could cause problems.
>
> At least, trying it one line at a time, you can
> isolate where the problem
> is.
>
> -Stephanie
>

> > the error is -48601 ("a problem has occurred"),
> which
> > is overlaid on top of "Dash Board Compile Error -
> The
> > script code could not be compiled. Please check
> your
> > code for any typos, syntax errors, or illegal
> > characters and try again."
> >
> > i have to catch my train soon, but will play with
> your
> > suggested line-by-line thing - thanks!

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -