Re: [NTLK] D-Link 660+ ethernet card and routers DSL router/BellMobility&

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 23:18:29 EST

on 13/02/2002 6:13 PM, David Chevalier at davidchevalier_at_sympatico.ca wrote:

> Does anyone know the trick to setting up my D-Link 660+ ethernet card so I
> can see my MP2100on the network in our house. We have a Linksys DSL router
> and a D-Link DSS-8+ ethenet hub?

Hi David,

I have the same card and it works fine connecting through a MacSense
router/hub (basically the same as the Linksys I think). Do you have the
driver for the card ("ATLAN"), and all the right bits of NIE installed?

It depends on what you mean by "see"ing the MP2100 on the network. You
should be able to connect to NCU running on a Mac on the network, and you
should be able to surf the net on the Newt through your router's built-in
DHCP server. Also, if you run NPDS on your Newt, you should be able to see
it via a Web browser from elsewhere on your network (I haven't tried that
yet). Other than that, you won't actually "see" the Newt on the network the
way you would see another computer with file sharing enabled.

If you want to give me a call at home tomorrow, I'll see if I can talk you
through it.

> Also, has anyone successfully connected their Newton 2100 to a Nokia 6185
> cell phone with Bell Mobility's "Data To Go" kit? Is there a way of
> connecting my MP2100 to the 6185 and using the phone's built-in modem?

I'm interested in this question also (in general, not just for that
particular phone). There was an intriguing posting on this list a week ago
from <mcello_at_aol.com> saying that with the Newton to PC serial cable (which
I know you have), plus a gender changer, a null modem adapter, and the
appropriate cable for your phone (which would be the "Data To Go" kit), you
can use your cell phone as a modem.

Let us know if you try it!

Regards,
Michael