[NTLK] Accents on characters in emails

From: Jean-Denis Muys-Vasovic (jdmv_at_mail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 06:49:09 EST

Daniel,

I use Eudora under Mac OS X and this one shows as weird characters to
me, but are they the correct ones? Quite often here in France I
receive emails with accented character messed up. I believe (but I am
not sure) that they use some PC-specific high-ascii character
encoding, which is not the same as on my Mac. I suspect that the
fault belongs to the sender email programs which doesn't use the
correct ISO-something or unicode encoding.

So in your message, I saw successively:

1- upper-case O with "grave" accent on top ("grave" is descending as
in the backslash "|")

2- a dash, looking "-"

3- a strange coma, looking a bit like a "cedille"

4- a "less than" sign, "<"

5- an upper case E with an umlaut on top (an umlaut is a french
trema, ie two dots or quotes side by side a bit like """)

6- an ellipsis character, ie three periods side by side in a single characte=

Now my turn, mostly with French characters (but some german/spanish too)
* accute accent on a,e,i,o,u,A,E,I,O,U: =E1=E9=ED=F3=FA=C1=C9=CD=D3=DA
* grave accent on a,e,i,o,u,A,E,I,O,U: =E0=E8=EC=F2=F9=C0=C8=CC=D2=D9
* circumflex accent (^) on a,e,i,o,u,A,E,I,O,U: =E2=EA=EE=F4=FB=C2=CA=CE=D4=
=DB
* umlaut on a,e,i,o,u,A,E,I,O,U: =E4=EB=EF=F6=FC=C4=CB=CF=D6=DC
* tilde (~) on aonAON: =E3=F5=F1=C3=D5=D1
* cedille under c, C: =E7=C7
* e inside o: =A6=91

I would really like to reach some understanding on when those
character are correctly or incorrectly sent/received, so that I can
give informed feedback when I receive incorrect ones.

Thanks,

Jean-Denis