Re: [NTLK] Canadian Newton Bulk Buy?

From: Mark Ross (markross13_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 20:49:01 EST

>Hi Rui,
>
>The total cost came in just under CDN$300 including shipping. (Thanks,
>Michael Bain!).
>
>The suspicious side of me wonders if the vendor sent out the best ones first
>in order to drum up positive talk on the list. The really suspicious side
>of me (don't worry - there are a few other sides left!) wonders if he sent
>the worst ones to Canada on the theory that it would be too much trouble for
>us to complain and send them back.
>
>All in all, I'd still say it was a pretty good deal, and certainly the
>lowest price I've seen. Came with original stylus, battery pack, AC
>adapter, 4MB card, and a (probably custom) cable with a Newton interconnect
>plug (no dongle needed) on one end and a PC serial plug on the other end.
>
>Michael

If these came from Product Resellers (and from the description, it sounds
as if they did) I can confirm that no special deals were made anywhere.
I set up an overseas shipping and delivery process for those in Europe
who could not participate directly. I visited the operation which is in
a warehouse in Northern NJ. The Newts were all in a large cardboard box
being tested when I arrived. They were all prepackaged and no special
effort was made to give anyone any special deals. You got what they had
and in random fashion. I met Jerry who was the salesman for this offer.
He is a terribly nice guy and I'd never suspect of him anything
nefarious. Since I had 9 Newts to distribute, I got a bit of an idea of
their condition. While it is true that some were in nearly pristine
condition, others had some scratches, some a bit more than others. All
were certified to be in good working order. It is possible that Mr. 2nd
Hand bought up a bunch of these at a discount and is reselling them as
well. Jerry mentioned that our information "got loose" on a product
reseller list and our Newts were "hijacked" before we could get to them.
Jerry had no way of knowing who was who since they found our our
"password".

Mark Ross
markross13_at_home.com