Re: [NTLK] iTunes MAD Max Crumble

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 13:54:58 EST

Christian Matzerath wrote:
> the sound is crappy. Does this belong to the mp3 file quality? Can anyone =
> report mp3 sound quality on his MP? Maybe someone who has a "good" mp3-file =
> can send it to me, so I can check if it sounds well on my 2100, too?

I would say that the internal speaker of the Newton has about the same
quality as an old transistor radio ;) Maybe somebody with a headphone
jack can report how it really sounds? There are also some ways to encode
an MP3 that can crash a decoder, I had that happen with FreeAmp, the
iPod and MAD Max... but iTunes with a 64kbit/22khz mono setting should
be fine. You should also be able to go to lower bitrates and use VBR.

There is one part of the code however that I still plan to optimize. The
MAD decoder itself has received pretty good reviews for his accuracy,
but the Newton port suffers from the old Norcroft C compiler (it doesn't
know about 64 bit multiplications). I ordered an evaluation version of
the latest ARM tools to see if I can increase the quality...

I also want to do some tests with various bit rates and sample rates and
summarize that on MAD Newton's web pages...

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --