[NTLK] Re - unable to run off batteries

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 19:09:55 EST

> What is the fix for when you have an MP130 that won't run off of
> batteries, only the AC adapter? I vaguely recall this or something
> similar being covered on the list a while ago, but I can't seem to locate
> the thread in the archives. Any help would be appreciated.

I assume you have made sure all batteries are fresh. Just having bought
them doesn't necessarily mean they are fresh...
Make sure all 8 contacts are clean and shiny. If they are, you will probably
have to open the Newton, see
http://www.pda-soft.de/130_disassemble.html for info on how to do this.
First thing I would check is the fuse. It is about 1 cm north of where the
red power supply wire is soldered to the board, directly above the battery
compartment. On the page mentioned above, go to the third image from the
top and look for the cyan rectangle to the left of the letter "a", this is
about
the location. It is a black component labeled "50", about 2x2 mm I think.
It should have zero resistance (like a wire). If it doesn't, you might
temporarily solder a piece of wire across it for a quick check. Safer would
be to solder a fuse across it. I am not sure what "50" means,
probably not 50 mA because that wouldn't be enough. Maybe it means
500 mA.

Good luck

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de