[NTLK] /dev/ devices

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 11:47:16 EST

Zachary wrote:

>> I've got the Keyspan Twin Serial USB adapter, so when it's plugged
>> in, I
>> have two extra entries in /dev: tty.KeyUSA28X181.1 and
>> tty.KeyUSA28x181.2
>> ( when it's plugged into the first USB slot ). To make the symlink,
>> just
>> run the following command:
>>
>> (zbir_at_gibbon ~) $ sudo ln -s /dev/tty.KeyUSA28X181.1 /dev/newton
>
> One caveat that I've found is that newly created /dev/ devices do not
> last past a reboot. I have no idea why.

USB, Firewire, and PCMCIA devices are plug-and-play. You can plug them
into either USB port, can plug multiple versions of the same device into
a machine, and can remove them any time you like. The only way to
handle this is to have a new unique device file created on-the-fly when
the device is inserted.

Sean