Re: [NTLK] Chip Job Offer (OT)

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 00:44:29 EST

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Benjamin wrote:

> http://www.eg3.com/WebID/soc/asic/index.htm
>
> you might be able to get a better idea on what ASIC's application here=20=
>
> (system-on-a-chip hint hint)

It is highly unlikely that Apple is going to build their on SoC. Only some
ASICs are SoCs, but the ones built for low-power (i.e. StrongARM) are not
run of the mill designs. If it Apple were looking to do any low-power(or
SoC), it would have been mentioned.

> On Wednesday, February 20, 2002, at 01:42 , eric engle wrote:
>

> > I expect this advertisment refers to the iPod. Still
> > if anyone thinks it refers to the strongarm feel free
> > to encourage my naive hopes...
> > (The message is marked off by 20 equals signs so you
> > can skip past it)

Apple didn't design any of the processors used in the Newton. Pre-2x00
Newtons used processors made by VLSI (using an ARM core) while the 2x00
uses the StrongARM, which was designed and built by Digital Equipment
Corporation.

What makes much more sense is if Apple is looking to higher an engineer to
work on the chipsets used in G4s, etc. Chipsets these days run upwards of
133MHz, and supporting DDR SDRAM would require a 266MHz SDRAM
interface(usually housed in the chipset).

And what would a 200MHz+ device be doing in an iPod? From what I recall,
the processor used in the iPod is ARM7 based with some specialized DSP
co-processor functions. It certainly does not run @ 200MHz...

Thanks,
Speedy2.