Re: [NTLK] Syncing with WinXP Pro and using WiFi???

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 02:59:50 EST

Paul Denlinger wrote:

> Hi--
> I am looking for information about:
> 1. Syncing my MessagePad 2000 with my WinXP Pro
> machine (Sony VAIO PCG-GR250P, 512RAM, 20G HD).
> Unfortunately, this machine does not have an IR port

I am not familiar with this model. Is it a desktop or a laptop?
Anyway, you can always use a serial cable from your PC to your Newton to
sync to "Newton Connection Utilities" for windows.
(You might need to get the program for windows called "SlowDown" to slow
down the speed of your PCs serial port.)

> 2. Using a WiFi (802.11b) card for use in a home
> office on the MessagePad 2000. I am using Earthlink
> DSL.

You can use a Lucent WaveLAN Turbo 11Mb Silver 802.11b PC card (Part
Number=P/N:012372A) in your Newton, then connect it to another computer
(not a stand alone access point) in AdHoc mode on channel 3. Then you
could setup Windows Internet connection sharing to give internet access
to your Newton too.

P.S. Some advice from me to you. Please DO NOT include the whole quoted
NewtonTalk digest email text when you post to this list.
Some people get really angry about this. When you replied to the
NewtonTalk Digest email to send your question, it included the whole text
of the digest email quoted below your text. It was quite long.

--
John Skinner
A+ Certified Computer Technician