[NTLK] Appletalk over Ethernet to Basilisk on Linux (and through)

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 12:46:55 EST

        Sorry about the subject line, I couldn't resist...

        Anyway, I got Appletalk over Ethernet working on Basilisk last
night (hooray! I can now transfer packages from NTK while keeping the
inspector open!), so I tried making a backup with NCU. I can backup my
internal store just fine, but when I try backing up the contents of my
32MB card NCU disconnects right at the end. I have plenty of space on
the disk image I'm backing up to, and plenty of memory (I have Basilisk
set with 80MB of memory).
        The error I get is a "communications error (-1). When I examine
the backup file it produces (backing up both internal and the card), it
appears to be just a backup of the internal store (i.e. it doesn't seem
to crap out while writing the backup file). I compared this file with
one produced by just backing up the internal store, and they are
identically sized.

        Has anyone run into this in Basilisk before? It seems from other
folks on the list that so long as you have more than twice the memory as
the store you're backing up you should be fine. Or is there some other
Mac-ish setting within MacOS to reserve memory for an application that I
should set?

        Thanks in advance,

Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 197:
I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons and
swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero or club
him with a gun will be summarily executed.