Re: [NTLK] was SER-001 rev B now Case Redesign

From: André Baron (abaron_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 03:58:12 EST

Josh Ormsby wrote:

>>In a previous message, Rui Curveira typed vigorously:
>>
>>>I seem to recall a few years ago that someone was going to make Aluminium or
>>>Titanium cases for the Newt (2X00 only). He was trying to get pre orders if I
>>>remember correctly. Anyway he would be a good place to start if he already
>>>has a mold or the case ... or the guys that did the "frozen Newton project"
>>>he must have a mould that could be modified. Anyone else remember this?
>>>
>>The infamous Newton Aluminum Shell Project... aarrgh.
>>
>>The original thread:
>>
>> http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/aug2000/0727.html
>>
>>The NASP web site (archived):
>>
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20000815210023/http://newton.i85.net/
>>
>>The Dave Design web site (the guy who makes cases for Palms):
>>
>> http://www.dave.com/
>>
>>Let the games begin!
>>
>>g.

>>Grant Hutchinson
>>

>I watched that project with great interest, oh well.
>
> Now I work in a shop that has a CNC mill and I have been thinking of
>reviving the idea. I am an engineer and if I can draw a good model of
>the case parts, I can machine them ot of aluminum or polycarbonate.
>
>A couple of weeks ago I started a SolidWorks drawing of the top half of
>the case, but I have found some difficulty in matching the original
>curves. It won't be hard when I put some real effort into it.
>
>The interesting thing here is that there can be small changes to the
>design. The current packaging is hard to beat, but it might be possible
>to shave a couple of fractions of an inch off of the length and width.
>There are a few things that might work here: a smaller speaker, sheet
>metal cover, different stylus storage, different placement of
>serial/interconnect/IR ports, etc.
>
>Some small changes could make the overall shape fit better into a
>pocket.
>
>I need to get inside my Newt to see how everything fits together, and to
>create engineering drawings of the board mounting dimensions. There is
>one problem so far with this, I just received my spare from a friend,
>but I have not yet been able to back up my primary Newt to it. If anyone
>has just the parts of the case laying about I would really appreciate
>borrowing them for a bit of reverse engineering.
>
>Anyone else want to jump on this thread?
>
>Thanks,
>Josh
>
>PS. Titanium really isn't really an option, except for possibly the lid.
>Think anodized aluminum (any color).

Hmm I always loved the semiclear blue and red anodized aluminum, that
would be sweet. I would love to contribute to the project to help, I do
actually have a spare Nexton 2000 with a case in rough shape but it is
still fully functional, if you don't get any other offers drop me a line
privately and we'll see what we can do.

Andre