Re: [NTLK] Re-painting a Newton: Epilogue

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 01:03:27 EST

I would stay far away from any kind of "baking" paint
on any Newton part. The reason being is that the case
fits together with such precision that any
misalignment would cause the case to no longer fit! If
you try to bake the paint onto your Newt, the added
heat could warp/shrink the case just slightly enough
to prevent it from fitting together ever again!
As was previously suggested, Testors modeling paint
(available at ANY hobby store and most WalMarts) would
be the best stuff to use. It's safe on plastics and
seems to have the gloss necessary to get a really
sweet shine! (well, according to my 1/25 scale 1957
Corvette model I make years ago!)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jon Glass <jonglass_at_mac.com> wrote:

> on 2/22/02 3:48 PM, Sunder at sunder_at_sunder.net
> wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of doing this, just taking it to a
> car paint shop as they
> > bake the paint on, but I haven't, nor did I speak
> with anyone at such a
> > shop, so it might be a bad idea also... I
> wouldn't know whether car paint
> > would stick to plastic, or if it would melt the
> case when it's baked...
>
> I seem to remember reading an article in a Model
> Railroader magazine many
> years ago, that explained how you could bake paint
> on in your kitchen oven.
> I bet that somebody has information on doing
> something like this on the
> internet. You wouldn't need to go to an auto body
> shop to do this. (Not that
> I would ever put my Newton through this--it might
> rebel afterwards, and
> always give me problems!) :-)
> --
> Jon Glass