Re: [NTLK] GEM 2100 impressions

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 22:41:00 EST

on 24/02/02 22:18, David Golden at ikondave_at_charter.net wrote:

> on 2/24/02 8:58 PM, Rolf Brakvatne at rbrak29_at_qwest.net wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I just got back from a trip to discover that my 2100 from GEM had
>> arrived.
>>
>> Not having had a 2100 (this is not the upgrade), here are my first
>> impressions :
>>
>> 1. The unit appears in good (used) condition.
>>
>> 2. Screen has a half inch crack (not a scratch) in the lower portion of
>> the screen (Problem? Can the screen be replaced?)
>>
>> 3. One of the two rear cover holding clasps is missing (Anywhere I can
>> get another?)
>>
>> 4. The battery appears to be OK, just needs to be cycled a few times.
>>
>> 5. Under memory info, it shows internal memory of 3984K. I thought the
>> 2100 had 8000K
>> memory??
>>
>> RB
>>
> If I were you, I would try to get GEM to let you send that MP back in
> exchange for one in better condition. A cracked screen is more then a mere
> cosmetic problem. The replacement cost ( parts and labor ) could easily run
> $100 (?). I'd be interested in what some of the more knowledgeable list
> members think.

I would definitely call GEM and get it replaced. You can't do anything with
a cracked screen and I'm pretty sure that the touchscreen is totally
inoperative.

The Apple repair, which is the only way to get the screen replaced, unless
Calvin Grier comes with his replacements, runs at $180 plus shipping, which
might be more expensive than what this user paid initially to GEM to get
this 2100.

Again, I would definitely call GEM and *REQUEST* a replacement.

-Laurent.

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N), but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN 0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.