Re: [NTLK] Powerbook 5300 cs

From: Larry Cafiero (grafhicks_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 00:55:34 EST

You may have gotten an answer already on this, as I am
woefully behind on the list.

First, having owned three PowerBook 5300s in the past
(all bought while living in Japan - and I still
probably have the only 5300 left outside of Apple
since their buyback program), I can say that the
reputation that they're the PowerBook "weak link" is
somewhat unfounded. For all its problems, it was the
first PowerPC PowerBook, and a step in the right
direction for Apple.

But I don't think any of the 5300 series is worth $200
at this point, especially since the 5300cs has a
passive matrix screen. You shouldn't pay more than
$100 for it.

You can boost a 5300 to 64MB of RAM and it will work
like a champ, running up to Mac OS (and Japanese Mac
OS) 8.5. The only reason I have my 5300 is a backup to
a backup - it's monochrome 16-gray screen has not much
use outside of the word processing I do.

So, if you haven't purchased the PowerBook yet, I
think you should reconsider. If you're really looking
for a good deal on a used PowerBook, you should
probably look for a G3-upgradable 1400c.

Larry Cafiero
Santa Cruz, California