Re: [NTLK] NewTen (Mac OS X package installer)

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 06:06:28 EST

Paul Guyot wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:57:17 -0800
> From: Steven Frank <stevenf_at_panic.com>
>
> >So, that's the main reason why there hasn't been an open source backup
> >program written? Nobody knows how the authentication scheme works?
>
> I solved it. It's basically DES with some changes, which the more I
> think about it might be the result of some coder incapable of
> implementing a correct DES library.
> However, I haven't found the time to finish the library yet,
> especially it still relies on some parts of Apple's code and I have
> to fix this detail before being able to release it. And considering
> binaries, backup and package installation work, but not restore, so
> we haven't published anything yet.
>
> >I'm sure someone has already thought of this, but would there be any
> >point in writing to Apple to try to get NCU released under Apple's
> >Public Source License?
>
> They don't own all the code of NCU, and even if they did, peace on
> Earth would be easier to obtain.

[This is replying from total ignorance, but hoping it might make some
sense]

There is a webserver app for the Newton. Couldn't that be used as the
basis for a TCP/IP-based linux back-up utility for the Newton?

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)