Re: [NTLK] NUGWash

From: Filmer, Paul E. (pfilmer_at_nsf.gov)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 14:03:40 EST

For the record, I simply added to/edited Laurent's very able summary.

Paul F.

        Paul notes: "Yikes! I didn't go to the meeting to sell any MP's --
in fact I had one to give away as the door prize, but everybody already had
an MP2x00, so my plan was blown. I was looking for that lucky (or unlucky
to this point) person with an MP1x0... OK so now I will give it out to the
person who finds all the Easter Eggs on my website... umm, well they are
not accessible yet, so hold your horses."

> I did have a blowfish presentation from Sean who wrote it. For those that
> don't know, blowfish is a package that you can use in an application that
> will let you encrypt the data that are saved in a soup. So, I was checking
> with him how hard and how much work would be needed to integrate blowfish
> in
> GeekSafe, since a few people did ask for something similar. I thought
> about
> adding it to GeekSafe during our meeting, but I didn't have enough time
> and
> I decided to hold off.
>
> What I'm going to do is that I'm officially announcing that I will make a
> few version of GeekSafe with data encryption that will be available at our
> next NUGWASH meeting that should take place sometime around mid-March
> (when
> ooW eeL will be visiting us). Those that won't show up will have to wait
> before getting that version. I hope that this will bring a little bit of
> excitement to the next meeting. So, see you there!
>
> That's pretty much what I have to report. I had to leave the first, around
> 4:30pm, to go back to the office, so I don't know what happened next. Most
> likely someone, maybe Paul, will post a final report.
>
> -Laurent

        Paul adds: "The meeting went on until just after five, when most of
us had familial responsibilities to attend to (see Dave, you weren't the
only one...). The Apple store gave us each an iMac as a parting gift.
Sorry Laurent.

        I have to say that Ed Kummel's acceleration implant and switch were
really nicely done -- the switch was taken from the end of a flash card, and
he mounted it right under the power jack, under the interconnect door.
Slick.

        Ed also had an old AT&T pen driven pad computer from the very early
90's, which for all of its features, coloring and feel could have been the
Ur-newt. Ed should post some pix of the thing! Hint hint.

        Sean Luke had planned to come with some WABA applets, but his cable
slithered off into nether darkness while he wasn't looking, and he was left
w/o a way to load them! We all voted that the most important thing to do
next was to finish the socket development - Paul G. are you listening?
Everybody who wants to develop/use apps w/ socket capabilities, please ding
Paul G. Heh heh heh.

        We all tried to help Victoria, who is still struggling with low
memory issues -- all of us tried to convince her not to keep her In/Out box
so darned full... I drilled into her that she needs to spend a weekend
reading the !@$# manual w/ her Newt right next to her, but no, like any
Newtenthusiast, she is trying to do butterfly before knowing the
breaststroke. She needs to find Newton users nearer to Philly, because DC
is a long drive for a NUG -- but it's lots of points for commitment.
Anybody in Philly, DE, or Balto?

        I had my Schlumberger Newt with me, and Ed was intrigued by the
interior, peering into all available cracks with his flashlight, and I
showed off its elegant cradle. But that's about all this baby can do, since
w/o a French doctor's SmartCard, all I/O is disabled. Soo... no printing,
no e-mail, no beaming, and worst of all, no package buddy to get at the
strange extensions, and no loading of packages. Website coming soon at
http://128.150.4.33/html/-88186101$703.nsd (sorry, best viewed on a Mac,
otherwise the contrast sucks).

        Next meeting when Woo, Ronnie and Paul Grothaus are in town,
mid-March.

        Paul F.