Re: [NTLK] 2100 memory

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 09:21:54 EST

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, DON wrote:

> OK, where are we looking for this? If I tap the Memory info I see that I
> have 2441k used and 1082k free and that adds up to 3523. What's up with
> this? Do I need to give Newty some Ginkoba?

Aagh! Sorry, just seems like no one answers these oft-recurring questions
anymore.

A 2100 has 4MB of Flash RAM for storage, and 4MB of DRAM, like the RAM in
your PC or Mac. When you tap Extras->i->Memory Info, you'll see the
status of all of your stores, starting with Internal. Part of Internal is
used for the system, so that's why the used and free numbers won't add up.
The System RAM number is the amount of DRAM installed. It's all
automatically allocated and managed by the system, so unless you're doing
something like running four Waba VMs and Newt's Cape at the same time, you
don't need to worry about memory management at all.

cf the FAQ in these locations:

(different types of memory)
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIA3

(table with specs for all Newtons and related machines)
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIA1d