Re: [NTLK] Avantgo (was: Lotus Notes (warning - long))

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 16:49:36 EST

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:33:14 -0800
> From: "Jim Anderson" <jiman_at_microsoft.com>
>
> Raj wrote:
>> Yeah I do apprectiate the full power of a browser but what
>> gets me is that Avantgo is so darn fast on such ancient=20
>> hardware (compared to the ARM). Granted it deals with a small=20
>> subset of html but its the important part (eg the info not the style).
>
> I've used AvantGo back in the dark days before I saw the (green)
> light, and speed is really what it has going for it. The problem with
> using NewtsCape to read "lite" news sites is it's speed in rendering new
> pages. Most news sites are organized with an overview page which links
> to more detailed pages for each story or section. This forces you to
> either be satisfied with only the overview, or go through a bunch of
> reload-render cycles.
> IMHO, there are two solutions for speeding this sort of thing
> up. The first would be a browser (or NewtsCape plug-in?) that renders
> just a limited subset of HTML, but does so very fast. The second
> (Steve?) would be the ability to schedule a web site download with book
> creation to a given link depth. Especially if you could predefine the
> ISBN and title of the book for each site you download. This would really
> be a hat trick. Since NewtsCape can readily create books, and books
> open/navigate quickly, you would end up with (say) a book of the NY
> Times "lite" site with the overview first, and each detail page
> following, with the links between the overview and details pages intact.
> I've played around with this a little with scripts that mirror a web
> site to a given depth, and then attempt to catenate them into a single
> file, but it would be better (read: more platform independent) if this
> could happen on the Newt side.

Newt's Cape has most of the necessary pieces to do this,
but the automatic download portion has always been a bit fragile (and
experimental), especially since it might also subsequently download frames,
images and nested links. to then cross fingers and hope that everything's
there when the package saver got called seems a bit much to expect (without
better error handling or probably a major rewrite).

(btw, did my earlier response about Plucker vs. Avantgo get thru?; I didn't
see it in this digest; of course, Comcast may still be experiencing some
mail gateway delays...)

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com