[NTLK] PPP connection with Megahertz modems and cell phone?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 23:51:00 EST

I've been struggling for weeks trying to get a PPP connection with a
Megahertz CruiseCard XJA3288 modem and a StarTac 7790 cell phone. I know
all the hardware pieces connect up OK, because I had pretty good success
sending faxes with that setup. But a stable PPP connection (like, long
enough to download some e-mail headers) kept eluding me.

The situation started to look up considerably when I tried the init string
AT&W1Z1S7=90S10=60 (thanks to list member Tim Vick). It's still really
hit-and-miss, but so much better than before that I now have hope that the
key is just finding the right init string.

Just wondering if anyone has had much luck with this modem and any cell
phone, or in particular with a StarTac such as the 7790 (in analog mode of
course). If so, what init string do you use?

Interestingly, when I used the same setup in my PowerBook G4, I got a great
connection that lasted half an hour while I merrily surfed the Web at 14.4
(kind of takes you back!). I used the "Megahertz XJA3288" modem file on the
PB (also thanks to Tim). So I'm thinking that the difference is either the
TiBook vs. the Newton (seems plausible), or maybe that modem file contains
the secret init string that does the trick. Anyone know how to look inside
a Mac modem file to see what it's doing?

As a side note, I've also been trying a MegaHertz XJ4288 modem, thinking it
can't be that different. But, the TiBook can't seem to talk to it at all no
matter which modem file I use (well, I haven't found one actually called
"XJ4288" for the Mac). The Newton, however, does fine with this modem (on
landline) using the "Megahertz Cruise 28.8" setup and even other more
generic setups. What's going on with that?

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted. Cellular e-mail on my Newt
would be the next "killer app" for me!

Michael