Re: [NTLK] UNNA error -39 macintosh .sea files

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 09:10:29 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 2/27/02 5:11 AM, the entity known as
Alain.FERNANDEZ at Alain.Fernandez_at_univ-orleans.fr conveyed the following:

> OK, well Robert,
>
>>> it's : http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/NewtonPress/ForMac/np11.sea
>> I just tried this one and it's ok, just two things, you'll have to
>> option-click the link
>> and you'll have to DRAG AND DROP IT ON STUFFIT EXPANDERS ICON.
>> (because it will show up with a generic, text, icon)
>
> My problem was that ".sea" are usually self extratible archives
> (double clic and this one seems not to be one, a ".sit" or a ".hqx",
> the type is down since the transfert.
> Perhaps REMAMING IT ON THE SERVER ?

It is still a self-extracting archive, but somehow in the transfer it's lost
the type/creator info that tells the Finder what it is. Hence the generic
icon. When you drag/drop onto Stuffit Expander, Stuffit doesn't give a flip
what the type/creator is, it just looks at the actual file data and expands
it. The alternative is to use any number of utilities to set the
type/creator info, but doing the drag & drop is going to be much quicker.

- Eric.