Re: [NTLK] off topic messages and reply policies brush-up [..looOOong...]

From: doppler (doppler_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 14:51:27 EST

Eric L. Strobel [fyzycyst_at_home.com] wrote the following 2002-01-03 18.04:

> Ahhh, but if folks were in the habit of being conscious about sending things
> off-list, this whole thread would never have come up! Nice little Catch-22,
> isn't it? ;-)

i think i must be expressing myself very weired, since so many people
misunderstand me. i think there is need for some additions to what i wrote
earlier...

1. this list is really cool, but it is, at least in my opinion very often
burdened by lots of emails that could be avoided.

2. if we all start sending things off-line, there would be no list, right?
of course we must continue to share our thoughts with each other, but
obviously, some mail is redundant. there are no other lists that actually
work as good as newtontalk, if you have a question, you will most probably
have it answered within minutes, which is a true blessing. BUT, as someone
pointed out, the list is not a manual, its also supposed to be a friendly
place

3. woo and sushi, please cool down, dont say im equaling my needs to
everyone elses - i dont. i clearly pointed out that the i was the sender for
the mail, i only present my own subjective impressions from the 2 years as a
list member. i dont want to be a list mom, i just want to express my
perception of reality ...

4. i would happily use the newton for reading NTLK, if there were fewer
mails with off-topic info. i use ethernet to sync the newt, but cell phone
when out of the office. since on the go most of the time, ethernet is quite
useless in many occations if i want to download NTLK. i guess many other
people are in the same situation, but i might be wrong here. (obviously,
some disagree already.)

sorry for the long rant [again] ;-D

                      roman pixell

_________karmatic_experience_group__