Re: [NTLK] Newton usage in the bathroom

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 17:34:36 EST

>>On 04-01-2002 7:58, DON at don_at_dcphotos.com wrote:
>>
>>Actually, most American homes have the bath and/or
>>shower in the same room as the toilet. And FYI, a
>>restroom is what we Americans call a place to relive
>>one's self, in a store, or other public place where
>>there IS no bathtub or shower, just urinals and/or
>>toilets.
>
>On 1/5/02 @ 4:17 AM, Robert Benschop wrote:
>
>I know, just always makes me smile that people that
>consider quite 'normal' tend to use this kind of
>puritanical language.

Well this has been an interesting thread that I started inadvertently!
;-)

FWIW, in Japan, Korea and other places over here, the traditional toilet
is separate from the shower/bath area. By the way, bathing is different
over here. You wash first, then you bath in the onsen (tub).

When you are lucky to find a Western style (as they call it) toilet, you
may be surprised by the equipment installed. The new Star Trek toilets
are a sight to behold. Just be careful which button to push to flush the
toilet as you may get a big surprise.

In many places there is no Western style toilet, be ready to squat on
your haunches as there is no seat. This is especially true you get out
away from the city. The Japanese tend to be more traditional in the
country. Especially at some of the really neat ski areas.

Ever ride a one person chair lift? Kind of fun...but I digress from this
already off topic post!

I've seen some of these older style toilets constructed in marble and the
like. Very nice. Others are very simple to include no running water,
just a hole in the floor so to speak.

In Korea, I used to visit a place that had a 4'x4' hole about 10' deep.
That is where the, er., material was stored between pump outs by a "Honey
Truck". The platform was merely concrete with a slit about 6 inches wide
and about 2 feet long. If you ever dropped something there, it's gone!
No way to get it out, unless you waited until they pumped the thing and
then would search through some 128-144 cubic feet (they would pump when
it got to about 2-1 feet from the top) of material.

Ah, the memories... :-)

Sushi