Re: [NTLK] [OT] Akihabara

From: Larry Cafiero (grafhicks_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 11:14:14 EST

Having lived in Japan for about 5 years, and having
done a lot of business with Sofmap (good place), bear
in mind that the Newtons that they do (or did) have in
stock (and I left there about a year ago) are waaaaaay
overpriced. When I left they were trying to get
50,000 yen (about $500) for a 130. I almost laughed
myself to dehydration.

Things may be different now, though. Just be careful.

Bear in mind, too, that the operating system on these
Newtons are in Japanese as well, with Japanese menu
items -- not a real problem since it will still
transcribe letters in "romaji" (ABCs) -- and actually
having the Japanese OS is kinda cool if you intend on
writing in Japanese. Check it out.

There used to be a Newton Shop in Shinjuku as well.
It is now called something else, and they now sell
Palms and Handsprings and such, but when I left a year
ago, they were still selling Newton accessories,
though. I think if you go to
http://www.thenewtonstore.com or
http://www.thenewtonshop.com, it will redirect you to
the store's new site under the store's new name.

Akihabara is great. I spent way too much time there,
happily.

Larry Cafiero
San Francisco, California

http://home.att.net/~michael.guzzo/newton/newton.html