Re: [NTLK] Bigger than iWalk

From: Joost van de Griek (gyorpb_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 04:23:05 EST

on 2002-01-06 00:43, Steven at Smuro_at_socal.rr.com wrote:

>> ... following the simple rules of statistics, there would be ample reason to
>> assume that if he knows a large enough number of PC users, the same ratio
>> would translate to all of them, i.e., most of all PC users are perfectly
>> happy to be using "the same thing everyone else uses".
>>
>> Which they are, not only in Chris' experience.
>
> Well if you follow this logic then you can say with great confidence, "while,
> MOST of all PC users are perfectly happy to be using "the same thing everyone
> else uses" - then you can easily deduct that "ALL 100% of Apple users are
> perfectly happy using the same thing that all the other Apple users do"

No. Same situation; most Apple users are perfectly happy to use whatever
Apple shipped with their computer.

Although there's a big possibility that Apple users generally made their
choice for an Apple computer more consciously; they deliberately chose a
different computer because they know it'll fit them. Many PC buyers buy
Wintel PCs because "that's what everyone else uses", "that's what we use at
work", or "that's the only option".

There are alternatives to what came with the computer when it was purchased,
but a large percentage of computer buyers doesn't know that, and an even
larger percentage knows but can't be bothered.

That's why most people still use IE4 on Win95.

> This is same logic would conclude that, "Jeez, All VW car owners only buy car
> parts that fit a VW...just like every other VW owner"

No, it's not the same. Because buying parts that won't fit your car is
stupid. Not changing the OS on your computer is convenient. Big difference.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
http://www.jvdg.net/