[NTLK] usenet and newton

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 11:08:27 EST

I found a neat free server in Germany, run by a university, that lets you
read and post as an authorized user. They set up an account for you
manually if you send them an email.

This is great for me since I use my MP from many areas, not just one domain
or subnet, and the newservers on each of those networks don't need a login
but base access on whether you are on their network or not (and from home,
comcast won't have one up again until middle of Feb).

The only rule I noticed that bugged me a little- you have to use a valid
email in your "from:" "reply-to:" etc. headers- and I haven't done that for
years due to spam harvesting. They don't like the
"REMOVETHISme_at_myaddress.com" type thing but will let you get a free "dead"
mailbox at deadspam.com and use that in your header info. Go figure. They
actually do a DNS lookup on those fields before your post is accepted
(granted that only catches munged domains, the example I have here of a
munged account address would still pass, but if they noticed, they could
close your account for you).

http://news.cis.dfn.de/

Use it for good! And be nice to them so they don't ban international users.