Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 03:45:33 EST

On Monday, January 7, 2002, at 04:57 , Robert Benschop wrote:

>> I personally feel that it is absolutely inacceptable for a computer to
>> crash, even for private use. I do not accept my washing machine to
>> crash, I do not accept my coffee machine to crash, I do not accept my
>> fridge to crash, I do not accept my TV set or stereo to crash, at least
>> not before they have reached the end of their life, which I expect to
>> be
>> in the order of a few years at least.
>
> Get ready for the future, as more and more appliances will get software
> incorporated they will probably eventually crash as well.

The fact that I am using a Newton should tell you that I am not prepared
to get ready for a future in which new stuff doesn't live up to the
quality standards set by older stuff. I will continue to use the old
stuff for as long as possible and in my experience it is usually
possible to survive in that mode until the pendulum swings back and the
good paradigm of yesteryear again becomes the visionary new paradigm of
the future, albeit in different clothes.

For example, I have been able to survive the
IT-world-foolishly-goes-Wintel period quite well so far using an old DEC
Ultrix workstation and a few old MicroVAXes at home and a PowerBook with
MachTen Unix on top of MacOS plus my Newton on the road until Apple
finally came up with a proper operating system and Sun came with a 999$
dollar Unix desktop. I believe the pendulum is swinging back and within
a decade I expect M$ to either openly turn into what they really are: a
vendor of home gaming platforms or go Unix too like anybody else.

And as far as the Newton goes, I still have hope that eventually there
will be a worthy successor; whether by Apple or some other vendor I
don't know and if it is in fact a worthy successor I honestly don't care
if its going to come from Apple or not.

>> It is about time computer people stop making excuses for themselves and
>> grow up.
>
> And that goes for people in general too ;-)

Absolutely!

rgds
bk