Re: [NTLK] Offline Web browsing

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 15:31:21 EST

From: ROBERT DOWNS (rkadowns_at_mac.com)

I do not have dialup connectivity to the internet nor do I have an Ethernet
card for my newt. (Hub and router to T1) There are times where I would like
to capture a web page and store it on my Newton for viewing later. Is there
any practical way to do this with the software available for the Newt? Say
Newscape and a specific type of data transfer utility?

if you mean download pages on desktop, then xfer to Newton, it'd be possible
to later view the pages via Newt's Cape. you could xfer the pages to Notes
using regular Newton connection/sync/backup utils (then use File/Open
Notes), or you could write the pages directly to the HTML cache using Sloup,
then browse the cache or enter the URL (if you transferred related files
this way, links to those pages should work). (note however that this
wouldn't support graphics though it'd be possible(painfully) to convert any
images using NCGC and then xfer those via Sloup too; there's no support for
"web archives" though I had considered adding support to browse inside a
.zip file, which would be esp handy for things like javadocs)

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com