Re: [NTLK] [OT] number of USB ports on the new iMac

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 11:47:01 EST

This Aggie math is very simple:
if you have three USB ports on the unit, you need at least one for the USB keyboard, so two are left.
Depending if the keyboard comes with a fix connected USB cable and has two USB ports
you will have 2 + 2 = 4 free ports in total or you need one of the two ports on the keyboard in order to connect it to the main unit,
in this case you will have 2 + 1 = 3 ports available.

The other solution would be to use an USB-hub. This is better with respect to the available power on the USB bus.
Many USB devices are powered via USB.
The power available from the main unit through the USB ports is limited.
Feeding the USB through the keyboard will not add any additional power, but the USB will do.

Cheers
Johannes