Re: [NTLK] Why can't I install packages?

From: Mark Smith (markds_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 02:34:15 EST

On Thursday, January 10, 2002, at 04:02 AM, Philip Katz wrote:

> What's the "White" file? I drag the .pkg file (like newtdev.pkg) onto
> the
> packtype app (with the icon of the hand holding a paper), and noting
> happens. If I open the packtype be dbl clicking, it pops up with that
> message. Are there any other ways to do this?

(assuming this is an issue of Type & Creator codes being wrongly set)

There are lots of utilities for fixing this. In OS X I had to do this a
lot because the OS binds .pkg files to Installer.app by default.

so, if you have OS X you can use XRay or XFiles amongst others to set
the four character type and creator codes of your something.pkg file.

(classic tools available too of course but I don't know much about them)

<http://www.brockerhoff.net/xray/>

<http://homepage.mac.com/brianhill/xfiles.html>

XRay will scan the apps on your machine so if you have NCU installed you
will get offered appropriate type and creator codes by selecting apps
from a list. In XFiles you have to insert them manually (but you can
change multiple files at once).

e.g.

Type = pkg_ (thats pkg with a single space after it)
Creator = 1NCU

mark.