[NTLK] Lousy performance from a 20M card

From: Dustin Long (dlong_at_tamu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 13:44:18 EST

I got one of the 20M "Viking" Linear Flash Cards in a recent eBay Dutch
Auction. Since I've never really used external storage on my Newton
before, I figure I'll ask this before contacting the seller:

Is it normal for a card of this size/manufacturer to "freak out"? About
every third time I wake up the Newt (an upgraded 2000 running 2.1
(717260)) I get "There is a problem with the card: This card could not be
formatted because it is write-protected." More troubling is that when the
card is in (and I assume it's when it's being accessed, like when trying
to edit a note that's on the card or opening Extras when the card is
inserted) the Newt will "hang". Right now I'm looking at an open Extras
drawer to "Unfiled Icons," for example, but I can't change to another view
or close the drawer. I would call this a "hard hang" that can only be
remedied by ejecting the card and hitting the reset button.

I know that the card has a write-protect button. I guess I'm wondering if
the button could be broken (is this possible?) or if the card was damaged
in the mail or something to that effect. No good using a card for storage
if I have to reinsert it and reset the newt every five minutes!

Anyone else ever experience this? Is there a way to "low-level
format" (i.e. zero-out) the card? Test it with a read-write program that's
looking for errors?

Thanks!

~Dustin