Re: [NTLK] eMate Problem

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 14:33:55 EST

>I have the manual, and am waiting for a Torx 8 from a friend. In the
>meantime, the right side of the screen has developed horizontal lines.
>Does this give anyone a better clue as to what the problem might be?
>Also, the eMate is still on 90 day warranty. Is this going to be an easy
>fix, or should I return it, and go without a Newt for a week or two?

You can read about the reports on the newtontalk archive (link available at
www.newtontalk.net, and search for "ribbon" would be my suggestion for
keyword).

From what I've read, the horizontal lines sound exactly like the "hole
punched in cable" type of issue.

One for sure, maybe two people have said they repaired it but it sounds
pretty finicky.

If the place you bought it from has more, swap it for another would be my
suggestion, let them try and fix it rather than yourself!

On an emate that does not yet have this problem, you can prevent it before
it occurs by using a washer to keep the spring from ever popping loose in
the first place (details in the list archives about 1 or two months ago
IIRC). Apparantly at least some emate had one spring with a "short" leg
that would slip out and cause this problem. It seems to be a common way
for them to "die".

I'd ask the place you got it from before you pop it open, to be sure they
will still take it back if you have messed with it to that degree... if you
find and read the other posts you will have a better description of the
task than I'm giving you.

Luck!