[NTLK] $150 Newtons (Review)

From: Perry Rutherford (per_at_suzieqsw.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 19:26:08 EST

OK -

Received two units today. Overall...mostly satisfied.

One's backlight is extremely weak and the other's door (power/dongle) is broken - one side is missing the latch/pin/thingie.

Both took a charge though.

The one with the weak battery has (what I consider to be) severe scratches on the screen...not gouges, but someone did a heck of a lot of writing on that baby. The scratches don't appear to affect handwriting.

A few small bumps and bruises on both...guess I'm just obsessive about protecting mine.

I'm going to call Jerry tomorrow and talk to him about the one with the broken door to see what he says.

All of this brings up a question: I know PCBMan has instructions for replacing backlights, but does anyone offer this service? I don't trust myself at all. Also, what about screen and door replacements? Not the main lid, but the power cover...please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,
Perry