[NTLK] Re. eMate Problem

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 20:11:57 EST

Stephen,

> I opened my eMate last night, and heard a clicking sound from the case.

Unfortunately this sounds like the ribbon cable has been punctured. If you
can return the eMate for a refund that might be the simplest route but if
you are handy with a soldering iron it might be possible to repair both the
cable and the hinge so there is no repeat.

See the archive messages or contact me off-list for more information.

I am getting somewhere (slowly) with finding replacement cables. They are
called flat flexible cables and I have found a few manufacturers that make
them and the connectors (Molex) but it seems that the process of preparing
the ends of the cables is always a custom operation - one cannot just get a
length of cable and strip the ends.

What is needed is a supplier of FFC who makes fixed lengths with the
appropriate tinned ends that will fit the connectors in the eMate and wrap
around the hinge (though this may not be necessary).

The search continues...

Joel.