Re: [NTLK] notes 2 works 2 PC

From: Rhonda Hyslop (rhonda_at_paradox.null)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 12:11:15 EST

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Rhonda Hyslop <rhonda_at_paradox.null> wrote:
>
> > Speaking of class notes... is there any way to get newton notes, including
> > sketches and shapes, onto my desktop in a readable (to the desktop) form?
> > I'd like to get last term's notes off the newt to make room for more
> > notes. And the sketches and shapes are critical, as they are equations
> > and diagrams... Text only exports fine, but I haven't managed to get the
> > sketches out yet.
> >
> > Some format that a program in either MacOS9 or X, or Linux can read, I
> > don't care which.
>
> The easiest way would probably be to use Twerx to transfer them to Works
> (assuming they're not already there) and then export using NCU to a Rich
> Text file.

Will that get the sketches though? I tried NCU export from notes to a
RTF, and all the text showed up but there were no sketches at all. (I
didn't pick the text-only option for exporting Notes either, I made sure
of that.)

> Or, if you've got ethernet and a UNIX box, set up an AppleTalk print queue
> on the UNIX box, capture its output to a file, and then have the Newton
> print to it - then you'll get a postscript file. Not very editable, but
> certainly usable.

Now that might work. I'll start looking into appletalk. I don't need to
edit, I mostly need to get the notes off my newt to make space while still
being able to look stuff up in them.

Thanks,
  -Rhonda

--
www.write-on.indy || write-on.homeip.net \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project