Re: [NTLK] HELP! MP2100 got wet... what do I do?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 13:59:32 EST

On 11/01/02 13:40, "Michael LaMorte" <mike_at_2shea.com> wrote:

> Okay, silly me... I took my MP2100 to a bar last night and knocked my
> drink over on it. I immediately wiped it off completely and turned it on,
> and everything worked fine. I breathed a sigh of relief and ordered
> another drink.
>
> When I got home and turned it on, the screen had rows of horizontal lines
> running through the display. The unit works fine... but there's 1 pixel
> lines on the LCD that run the complete width of the display, spaced about
> 10 pixels apart. They make the screen look like lined paper.
>
> So I took everything out... the flash card, the battery, the stylus,
> opened the access door and lid, and let it sit overnight. No luck.
>
> Is it fried, or can someone tell me what's wrong & how to fix it? The
> battery is out right now, so should I continue to let it sit in hopes
> that it's just wet and it'll dry out and work properly in a day or two?

Based on my limited electric knowledge, so take this for what it's worth, it
might still be wet. I would however be tempted to say that if it was working
fine when it happened, and now it has those lines, that somehow something
was fried, or shorted. Maybe when you did turn it on, or when it turned on
by itself at 3:00am to do its housekeeping. In a case like yours, where the
unit gets wet, and where you can guess that the internal could have been
affected as well, you're better off removing all power and accessories
immediately and wait 24 to 48 hours before putting the power again.

-Laurent.

cargo cult programming n.: A style of (incompetent) programming dominated by
ritual inclusion of code or program structures that serve no real purpose. A
cargo cult programmer will usually explain the extra code as a way of
working around some bug encountered in the past, but usually neither the bug
nor the reason the code apparently avoided the bug was ever fully understood
(compare shotgun debugging, voodoo programming).