Re: [NTLK] twerx werx! but backing up still sux!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 17:41:25 EST

On 11/01/02 16:01, "Scotty Technoir" <ticknor_at_punkass.com> wrote:

> hey gang
> thanks for the pointer on Twerx. i could see myself paying for this, esp
> since i can't back up my Newt anymore! it worked fine a number of times.
> then i read on the list that incremental backups can cause errors, so i
> dumped my old file before trying to backup again. this worked once. now,
> after trying 10+ times, i can't get a complete backup accomplished. it
> appears to fail when it reaches the package backup stage.
> i have heard about slowdown.exe being used on win2K machines. has anyone
> tried this on XP? seems strange to me that it would work one day and not the
> next, but that's windows for ya! [not that i didn't have trouble with my old
> Mac from time to time!]
> my setup:
> MP2000
> ThinkPad 390E, 333MHz, 192 MB
> i can install packages, export from Works [with the odd error] but backups
> always fail.
> the PC gives a communication error type [-1]
> the newt tells me the PC disconnected.
> ideas?

This is a very common error, however, it's very hard to troubleshoot, since
you don't really know what's going on. I haven't heard anybody using
SlowDown.exe on XP, but you could be the first one! Actually, I haven't
heard of anybody that ran NCU on XP, so we're in unchartered territories
here... So, why don't you try to run it?

-Laurent.

fat electrons n.: Old-time hacker David Cargill's theory on the causation of
computer glitches. Your typical electric utility draws its line current out
of the big generators with a pair of coil taps located near the top of the
dynamo. When the normal tap brushes get dirty, they take them off line to
clean them up, and use special auxiliary taps on the bottom of the coil.
Now, this is a problem, because when they do that they get not ordinary or
`thin' electrons, but the fat'n'sloppy electrons that are heavier and so
settle to the bottom of the generator. These flow down ordinary wires just
fine, but when they have to turn a sharp corner (as in an integrated-circuit
via), they're apt to get stuck. This is what causes computer glitches.