Re: [NTLK] Taking Notes on MP2000/2100?

From: Rhonda Hyslop (rhonda_at_paradox.null)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 02:31:20 EST

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, speedy2 wrote:

> Do the people here who take notes for their classes use an external
> keyboard or HWR or free form?

I switch between HWR, shapes, and sketch mode as needed.

> For those in technical classes with diagrams and equations, how do you
> cope? Do you use the built-in Notes or some other third party add-ons?
> Just free-form the equations & graphs into the existing notes?

The only add-on I use is BigNotes. If the diagram is complex, I don't
bother with shapes, just sketch the whole thing, if it's fairly simple I
like to use shapes to make it have straighter lines. Equations (and my
classes have lots of them - chemical engineering) I just sketch. For text
with variables in it, I switch to ink text briefly (actually, I just keep
writing, then double-tap the gibberish that comes up for the greek or
whatever alphabet letter and pick the ink text from the list of
suggestions, it's faster that way).

The first two weeks I used my newt for class notes, I took all notes
(except equations and diagrams) in ink text, then carefully translated
them after class, so I could correct the errors the newt made. And there
were a lot of them in the first week, due to the jargon :-) By the end of
the second week, errors were rare, so I started using HWR right in class,
and the accuracy was good enough for me to keep up, even though some
people writing on paper were falling behind!

Unfortunately after the years of taking notes on my newt, it seems to have
stopped adding new words to the word list automatically. It'll add them
and use them if I put them in manually, though. Kind of annoying,
because I don't have time in class to manually add them, and by the end
of the day when I do have time, I've forgotten exactly which word I was
supposed to add.

-Rhonda

--
www.write-on.indy || write-on.homeip.net \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project