Re: [NTLK] Typing sounds

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 09:27:11 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 1/14/02 9:16 AM, the entity known as Robert
Benschop at rbenschop_at_mac.com conveyed the following:

> on 14-01-2002 3:05, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_home.com wrote:
>
>> I was wondering about that last bit... The keyboard I got when I bought my
>> 130 is just about the quietest keyboard I've ever had. Not quite as quiet
>> as those on my Duo 280s, but FAR quieter than this iMac keyboard.
>> Certainly, my Newt keyboard is NOT something that would disturb a briefing
>> or lecture. Although, I still generally use HWR so I can lean back and
>> relax...
>
> You must have a real silent one, normally the external ones are quite noisy.
> (The eMate is very silent BTW)

I suppose it depends on your 'touch' too. Unless I'm going at warp speed
(which is pretty difficult on a Newt keyboard), I generally PRESS the keys,
as opposed to BANGing them down sharply as I see many folks do at a
keyboard. Kinda like the difference between squeezing the trigger and
pulling the trigger, for those folks who've done any shooting... Although,
since I learned to type on a manual typewriter, you'd think my touch would
be just the opposite...

But yes, I can see that if you tried to operate the Newt keyboard too
sharply, you might make more noise than necessary.

- Eric.