Re: [NTLK] Re - Strength in numbers

From: Jonathan Wise (jonwise_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 16:19:49 EST

I wanted to make a comment on the whole "Strength in numbers" thing.
Someone, and I can't find the message, stated that only the Ubergeeks on
this talk list would be excited about a new Newton.
Well, that's a start, but only that:

-Now add the Ubergeeks on the Mac sites, I'd dare to say they're in the
thousands -- if not hundreds of thousands. I witnessed the fury of excited
anticipation when the SpyMac.com videos came out. There were hundreds of
posts from hundreds of different people on every Mac site I know of.
-Next, add the Ubergeeks who frequent slashdot.org, even they were excited.
Then, add the semi-geeks on wired.com, zdnet.com, cnet.com, there were
articles and follow ups from each of them.
-Next, add the not-so-faithful-not-so-geeks ex-Newton users. Of the former
Newton, now WinCE/Palm users of talked to, not one of them laughs at their
Newton. They all speak fondly of it, and are sorry it had to go.
-Finally, add all the people who are sick of their Palm loosing data on them
(like my wife), all the people who are sick of their WinCE machine needing a
charge every night, and all the people who are just interested enough to try
out something new.

That's a huge target audience, easily worth the time and the money.
Sure, it's a competitive market, but people are always interested in a new
way of doing things -- especially if they're dissatisfied with the old way.
I'm a poor student, but let me tell you, if Apple came out with a PDA I
would scrape together every nickle and dime I could find until I could
afford one.

Jonathan Wise