Re: [NTLK] 2000 vs. 2100 screen differences & idle curiosity.

From: Scotty Technoir (ticknor_at_punkass.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 10:28:12 EST

> - The 2100 displays are much more readable without the
> backlight and are generally "gold" in appearance rather
> than "grey" as my 2000's display is. With the backlight on,
> however, the 2100's look slightly worse, mainly because the
> contrast of the LCD seems a little uneven.

true, i guess. my standard mp2000 does have a grey look to it in certain
light.

> - The writing surfaces are *very* different. I don't have
> screen protectors on any of the units right now (yes, I'm
> sure). The 2000u has a very smooth, "slippery" screen which
> makes the original stylus glide over it quickly. The 2100s
> on the other hand look the same but feel kind of "sticky"
> with lots of resistance with the original stylus, like
> writing with a ball pen on paper.

i use my MP without protection, and enjoy the pen-and-paper feel. maybe
yours in just worn down?

> - Finally, if I run my finger down the 2100 displays in
> bright light, I can make out what look like "oil rings"
> (like you see in city puddles) behind the topmost layer
> where my finger has been, though they disappear almost
> instantly. I can't reproduce this on my 2000u unit.
> *shrug* like I said, idle curiosity. ;)
>
> -Aron

i see these "oily rings" myself, usually in class under bright, overhead
fluorescent lights. they appear in two spots and can be smeared around with
the stylus, but always return to the original spot. one is where the top
corner of a "note" is, the other down along the top edge of the button bar.
they don't seem to do any harm.

regards,
scotty t