Re: [NTLK] Warning: 20 MB Cards Recently on eBay

From: Andrew Beals (bandy_at_cinnamon.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 23:14:00 EST

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:04:29 -0700, "Grant [Oy Vey] Hutchinson"
<grant_at_splorp.com> wrote:
> So, is there any reliable way to test these cards in order to check how
> far along in their "life cycle" they are?

I don't know the answer to your life-cycle question, but typically the only
data on a flash card in a routah is the IOS image. Its configuration gets
written into on-board NVRAM. It's possible that they may have had core dumps
written on them from time to time, but [a] it's really slow and [b] they tend
to be bigger than the cards. CSCO's customers don't upgrade router images all
that often -- if it works, why mess with it? Additionally, it's quicker for a
router in a datacenter to boot off of a server box, and use the image in flash
for backup purposes.

/signed/
        Newtless in SJ, but I have something of an idea how CSCO routers work...