[NTLK] Silence

From: Larrie Easterly (larrie_at_larrie.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 12:43:12 EST

Well I am going to HAVE to figure out a way keep one of the Newt 2100's that
I got. Two of the units make the standard annoying buzzing noise when the
back light is on. The third is silent! Not having the transformer noise is a
joy when working with the back light on.

Another interesting thing is that I used Nick's TestIt to check out the
internal memory on the units and compared it to the results on my ump 2000
and my wife's ump 2000. Results below:

New machines - 2100 with only built in packages - transfer 100K took 6.6
seconds at 15.1k/sec

Wife's ump 2000 with only built in packages - transfer 100K took 6.7 seconds
at 14.9k/sec

My ump 2000 with 1123k free internal memory - transfer 100K took 12.1
seconds at 8.2k/sec

I had no idea that things slowed down so much as you loaded up the internal
memory. I typically run with around 400k of heap available and all unused
packages frozen.

What do you think? Could this be due to memory fragmentation? Or is this
normal? Has anyone seen similar results?

Larrie