Re: [NTLK] Airport on Newton

From: james richter (paparichter_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 19:38:09 EST

> Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the alpha
> version wouldn't talk
> to a base station, just another card (i.e. one in a
> notebook computer)
>
> And since I now have one of these in my PowerBook
> and this appeals to
> me in big way, I was wondering what version of
> airport are you using
> on your desktop, as I heard it needed a certain
> (older) one. Or does
> anyone else have or know of a walk thru for this?
>
> later,
> --
> ben.
> onefishtwofish_at_mac.com

Like I said in my original post, I haven't been able
to get it to function under OSX.1, which has the most
recent Airport 2.0 update. I got it to function
under OS 9.2 running either Airport 1.2 or 1.3 (I
can't remember which since I'm at work--but it is not
AirPort 2.0).

As I said, I couldn't get it to network through the
base station, but I did manage a computer to computer
network, where my WaveLan card networked with the
AirPort card in the G4.

I did encounter a problem this afternoon. I did a
backup of the Newton 2100 just fine. However, I later
went to do a backup of a 32MB card and the connection
peetered out. Whenever I tried to synch again, the
Newton kept telling me that I didn't have enough free
memory to run the application (Dock) again. I had to
run off to work so I haven't tried it since.

In general, for installing packages and doing small
backups, the wireless connection worked just fine.

Jim R.

=====