Re: [NTLK] New PC's

From: David Mantripp (d.mantripp_at_fantastic.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 06:30:03 EST

well this is really the place for design arguments, but actually if you look
at most Apple hardware, you will see that the bits that look attractive also
have a purpose. And the attention to detail is very high. From what I can
see of these Intel sponsored designs, they are largely boxes with bits stuck
on.

Look for example at the curved identation under the MP2100, aligned with the
(open) cover. Looks gratuitous at first sight. Then observe how your
fingertip fits into into as you close the cover. You probably never
conciously notice this, but it contribute to the "feel good" feeling that
backs the 2100 so pleasing to use.

I haven't seen the new iMac yet, but I don't believe that there is much
about it that is gratuitous. If there is, then it would be the first time
that Jonathan Ive (who's early work at Apple includes the 2100) has slipped
up like this.

As for the Steve Jobs garden stuff - yeah, it makes me puke too. Ive must
have considerable powers of self control to put up with such patronising
bullshit. Although I guess that being VP of Industrial Design at Apple is a
reasonable tradeoff!