Re: [NTLK] newton keyboard screenshot DVD

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 19:43:14 EST

Robert Benschop wrote:

> on 22-01-2002 1:53, Mark Rollins at mark_at_mrollins.com wrote:
>>Does "Command-Shift-3" work? Put the player in the background and it may work.
>>
> I had this in my original post, but that's exactly the weird thing.
> Both Command-Shift-3 and Command-Shift-3 (screenshot of the complete screen
> and of a user defined part of the screen) work like a charm, until I eject
> the DVD and I suddenly end up with a completely empty, black document, in
> whatever app I open the screen picture.
>
> Never saw anything like it, which is why I wondered if there could be some
> kind of 'data dependency' at work here.

It's most likely copy protection at work. Any DVD player must include
copy protection mechanisms that prevent unauthorized access to the
content in any form. Screen captures are one of these illegal accesses.
I bet that this is also the reason why it took Apple so long to come out
with the DVD player for OS X since OS X has a nice framework (Aqua) for
getting data onto the screen which was probably a little too open for
the DVD-CCA guys ;) I can imagine the frustration the Apple engineers
must have felt to retrofit Aqua with copy-protection...

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --