Re: [NTLK] Misc. replies regarding battery tray thread

From: Daniel Padilla (daniel.padilla_at_wanadoo.es)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 09:41:41 EST

> > From: "Daniel Padilla" <daniel.padilla_at_wanadoo.es>
>
> I set up a (quite simplistic) web page with photos and
> some intructions on
> > how to convert the standard battery tray to be able to
> use rechargeable
> cells.
> > I've been using this for two years now without a problem.
> I think it's a
> > fast and clean way to achieve this.
> >
> > http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/battery.htm
>
> Again, "clean" is a function of one's own definition. I
> agree to "fast".

    I meant "clean" because if you want to take everything out and have your
tray back to use alkalines, you would end with only a couple of small holes.

> You left out the thermistor which is fine unless something
> goes wrong. Also, the resistor you use isn't the original
> one which may or
> may
> not be a problem depending on its specification. It also
> appears that the
> resistor
> is located pretty much at the tray's bottom although it
> should be located as
> close to the cells as possible. After all, its job is to sense their
> temperature,
> and being several millimeters away from their surface in an
> otherwise open
> box
> won't allow it to do this job with the required accuracy.

    Yeah, it appears. :) It is bent up to be in contact with the batteries.
You couldn't tell from the photo, so I have added a line.

> This is why in the
> Newton and eMate rechargeable packs it is fixed with good
> expensive tape to
> the cell's surface. This is also the reason why the
> temperature sensor in
> the
> MP1x0 devices (you can see it in the battery compartmen) is
> shaped the way
> it is shaped.

    In my MP100 the thermistor is many mm away from the cells, and between them
there's the battery holder. Sure it's calibrated for this distance.